※ Online submission system for NANUM 2014: ICM 2014 Invitation Program
NANUM is a Korean word meaning “gracious and unconditional sharing.”
Some members of the Korean Mathematical Society (KMS) enjoyed the benefits of the IMU travel assistance program to travel to ICMs in the 70’s and 80’s. Such assistance not only benefited the recipients of the travel assistance but also the students and young researchers with whom the recipients of IMU assistance shared the excitement and experience gained from ICMs. The KMS and its members fully acknowledge the gracious and friendly support received from the international math community, and hope more countries can share in the benefits. Being a late starter, based on its own experience, the mathematics community in Korea understands the challenges met by mathematicians in many developing countries. This has motivated the theme of Korea’s bidding proposal: "Dreams and Hopes for Late Starters".
In order to realize the proposed theme, the Organizing Committee of ICM 2014 offers to invite 1,000 mathematicians in developing countries to Korea to participate in ICM 2014, many of whom would not have been able to visit an ICM otherwise, stand to bring the ICM excitements and new knowledge back to their home countries. The ICM 2014 Travel Fellowship Fund was set up and the Organizing Committee of ICM 2014 estimates the average cost to be approximately US$1,500~US$2,500 per person, making the total cost US$2 million.
The Organizing Committee of ICM 2014 launches "NANUM 2014" for this purpose, and strongly believes that "NANUM 2014" could have a positive impact on them in practical and symbolic ways. The potential positive impacts their experiences will have on future generations in their respective countries will be huge and will surely linger for many years to come. Within the IMU, the level of participation and activity of traditionally passive member countries is expected to increase, and a closer collaborative and harmonious math community is likely to ensue.
The application and selection procedures for "NANUM 2014" is supposed to be based on merit and with due regard for gender and geographical balance. The Organizing Committee of ICM 2014 only considers applications for support for research visits made by individual mathematicians with a Ph.D. or equivalent.
※ Composition of 1,000:
• 45% senior, 45% junior, 10% advanced graduate students
• (tentative) 100 for ‘Math School’ for participants from DCs
• At least 100 women mathematicians
• Gender, geographic balance are important
• Priority will be given to the applicants from the countries with GDP $7,500 (nominal) or less
• Some underdeveloped regions inside ineligible countries
※ Timeline of the application and selection procedure:
• Jun. 1, 2013 - Aug. 31, 2013 : Applications received
• Oct. 16, 2013 - Oct. 31, 2013 : Submission site re-opened
• Dec. 31, 2013 : Review of Applications completed
• Jan., 2014 : Notification of acceptance
※ Application Documents
• A curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages)
• Complete personal details (full name, date of birth, gender, country of residence and nationality, affiliation)
• Complete contact details (postal address, e-mail)
• Publication list (if you have any) or a statement describing your doctoral research
• The name with e-mail of the head of a department of the applicant’s institution
• Advanced graduate students and postdoctoral fellows within 5 years of receiving Ph.D. are recommended to submit a letter of reference from the doctoral advisor.